Wednesday, January 9, 2019

A Passion Worth Fighting For

Kandi at Kandi’s Kustoms Hot Rod Shop
in her fire suit ready for 2019.
Many of you have heard the story a thousand times over of how I got my start in the hot rod industry and my spark of life (time of conception) at a racetrack. It’s hard to believe that several months ago, I almost gave up the very passion that drives me harder than anything, pushes me beyond measure, and has been a lifelong dream since I was in diapers.

It’s true. My health had been declining with every passing month, I couldn’t work as hard, or somedays at all on the machines that I so desperately loved. I started feeling like maybe, just maybe it was time for me to retire from the hot rod shop all together and focus on something else. Perhaps if I couldn’t be fully hands on, then maybe my place wasn’t building hot rods. I didn’t know what I wanted. The brain fogs of the rheumatoid arthritis and the heart acting up we’re causing such issues that I couldn’t focus, and I couldn’t remember a damn thing from one minute to the next.  I was stressed, losing hope, and I found myself contemplating the hot rod shop without me altogether. I seemed to be falling into a dark abyss with everything life was tossing my way.


Data is key to fixing. Round 2 of
heart monitoring 24/7 for 30 days.
Hope. Hope can take away everything when you lose it. Hope can also bring a ray of light in an unraveling situation. The strong and supportive relationship I have with my husband gave me hope with my health, and a proposal to marriage provided me with medical coverage to gain more answers and procedures that provide even more hope at a longer, healthier, and better functioning life. My kind and loving husband, Rob, has truly been a hero in more ways than he will ever understand. He’s given me the world to share with him. 

Like a light switch, it was an action and an event that took place at the hot rod shop one day. I found myself extremely defensive, nearly coddling the shop from harm like you would your child. I was infuriated at the potential of a situation and was standing my ground for the shop and every single person on the team. Not only did I see my passion was truly not lost, but my team also saw the fire burning in my eyes brighter than it had in a long time. Ever since that day, I’ve found myself pushing once again. It’s my dream, and I’ll die doing what I love, because it makes me truly happy in my soul. Let’s be honest, what the hell else would I do that wasn’t based around hot rods and antique machinery? I’d be miserable! 

You are the fire. Burn bright.


Kandi 

No comments:

Post a Comment